This is my take on Shakshouka, a Tel Aviv masterpiece and classic dish. After posting it on Facebook some people ask me about my recipe so here you have it and please enjoy it.
I hope you enjoy it, and if you like it please let me know and share it with your friends.
- 1 can of diced tomato (feel free to crushed it)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 Fresh garlic or 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 1 Onion cut in little cubes – brunoise (check this link)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 5-6 eggs
- A nice crack of black pepper
- 2 spring onions
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- add olive oil to a pan at 3/4 of heat, add the onions and spring onions and sauté until tender (caramelize).
- add garlic, smoked paprika, bay leaf, thyme, mushrooms, and can of chickpeas.
- add tomato can and correct for salt.
- let it seat with lit on for 10 mins at medium heat.
- add the egg and the feta and keep the lit on until the eggs are cooked.
- salt and pepper, a titch of olive oil.
- finish with fresh parsley and spring thinly sliced spring onions.
- serve it and let me know how it works.